Brooklyn was chosen to read her essay on her hero at her school Martin Luther King assembly. She did a wonderful job and wasn’t' one bit nervous! She really is such a thoughtful and loving girl! I had to hunt her down to get a picture because she had taken off to deliver popcorn with the student council for popcorn day. (I couldn’t get one during the assembly, I was trying to video tape and had Cody with me, I had my hands full!)
My Hero
By Brooklyn Baldwin
Anybody can have a hero. They don’t have to be famous. It can be someone that you look up to like your mom, dad, sister, brother, cousin, aunt, uncle or grandparents. They are just them.
My hero is special. My hero is my dad. He grew up in Orem, Utah. He had 9 brothers and sisters before his brother Breck died. He is as sharp as a tack with math. He went to BYU because he got good grades and served a mission in Chile. My dad learned lots of Spanish. I say he learned all of it. He says, “There’s so much Spanish you can never learn all of it.” But I’m pretty sure he learned a lot.
My dad is my hero because he helps me with math homework. He knows a lot of math. My dad will go to bed at 10:30pm and get up at 5:00am to go all the way to Portland to work as an Actuary. But, he doesn’t get home until 6:30. That leaves me with only 2 hours a day with him before I go to bed. I love my dad, so I use that time with him. There is a game he has to play every night with my brothers, Bedroom ball. You throw a ball at each other in bed.
One night, I was doing my homework and almost passed out. Even one teeny tiny, itsi bitsi look at that math problem would make me fall to the ground and throw a fit. I closed my eyes and got my dad. He said I used to say “let’s count it out!” It took me to the bright side and I finished it. Now, whenever I do my math, I laugh at what I used to say. (“Let’s count it out.”)
I love my dad. Once he gets in the car to leave, I want him to stay so much I could even stop him, but I wouldn’t or I’d get in trouble. Some people say their hero is the best in the world, but, my dad is special in his own way.
1 comment:
That was so cute, it made me tear up a little bit. Brooklyn is so sweet, and apparently a really good writer! That is so cool that she wrote that and got to read it at school. I bet Casey you guys are so proud!
Post a Comment